Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Knox in Hardin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Visitor's House

Historic Fort Knox

 
 
Visitor's House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
1. Visitor's House Marker
Inscription. This building, completed in the summer of 1919, was originally known as the Visitor's House. It was built by the National Catholic War Council, an organization of the Knights of Columbus, to accommodate families and friends that came to visit soldiers of early Camp Knox. The house had 14 guest rooms, a lounge, writing rooms, a cafeteria and a dining room. A Catholic chaplain affiliated with the Knights of Columbus managed the guest house. In the early 1930's when the mechanized forces moved to Fort Knox it was converted to provide a post hospital and later served as the hospital annex. In July 1940, when the initial armored divisions in the US Army were formed, the First Armored (Old Ironsides) Division established its headquarters here. This building has been occupied by various staff sections of the Armor Center since April 1942, when the First Armored Division departed for Europe.
 
Erected by USA Armor Center.
 
Location. 37° 53.905′ N, 85° 57.582′ W. Marker is in Fort Knox, Kentucky, in Hardin County. Marker is on Bullion Boulevard 0.1 miles north of Chaffee Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Knox KY 40121, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers
Visitor's House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
2. Visitor's House Marker
Looking south along Bullion Blvd.
are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Post Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Main Post Chapel (approx. half a mile away); St. Patrick's Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Knox (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Armored Force School (approx. 0.8 miles away); LST Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rineyville Named (approx. 10.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fort Knox History - Camp Knox 1918-1931 (pdf file). Fort Knox Cultural Resources Office (Submitted on January 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Forts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, World II
 
Visitor's House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
3. Visitor's House
Visitor's House image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, January 24, 2011
4. Visitor's House
Dedication plaque near the main entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement