Fort Knox in Hardin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Armored Force School
Historic Fort Knox
Following formation of the armored force in July 1940 a specialized school was authorized and activated to train officers and soldiers for the armor divisions and battalions of World War II.
Formal instruction began 4 November 1940 with enrollment of 200 officers and 2,000 soldiers. Subjects included tactics, gunnery, communications, and driving and maintenance of tanks, wheeled vehicles, and motorcycles. An Officer Candidate School was established in May 1941 and graduated 11,600 lieutenants before inactivation in 1945. In May 1955, the Armored School was redesignated the US Army Armor School.
From its initial World War II role, the US Army Armor School was expanded to become one of the largest and most progressive armor and armored cavalry training schools in the world. The US Army Armor School's proud heritage is reflected in the motto "Forge The Thunderbolt."
Erected by USA Armor Center.
Location. 37° 54.477′ N, 85° 57.161′ W. Marker is in Fort Knox, Kentucky, in Hardin County. Marker is on Old Ironsides Avenue north of Black Horse Regiment Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 596 Old Ironsides Avenue, Fort Knox KY 40121, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LST Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Visitor's House (approx. ¾ mile away); Post Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Main Post Chapel (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Patrick's Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Camp Knox (approx. 1.4 miles away); U.S Bullion Depository (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fort Knox, Kentucky (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Knox.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.