Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tangier in Accomack County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Methodist Parsonage

 
 
Methodist Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2010
1. Methodist Parsonage Marker
Inscription. The Methodist Parsonage, the home of the resident Reverend and his family, was erected in 1887. It is the only house on the island with a basement and the first to have an indoor bathroom.

It was the first house to have chain link fence, starting a trend to replace wooden picket fencing with the modern fencing chosen by the then preacher. The current trend is a return to the more traditional picket fence.

At the far end of Parsonage Lane is the Annie Parks House, also moved from Canaan in the early 1920's.
 
Location. 37° 49.741′ N, 75° 59.56′ W. Marker is in Tangier, Virginia, in Accomack County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Ridge Road and Parsonage Lane (Virginia Route T-1310) on Main Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tangier VA 23440, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Historic Tangier Island (a few steps from this marker); Fisherman's Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers Lane (within shouting distance of this marker); Daley's Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome To Historic Tangier Island
Methodist Parsonage and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2010
2. Methodist Parsonage and Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ice Cream Stand (about 300 feet away); Fort Albion (about 300 feet away); Parks Marina (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tangier.
 
More about this marker. On the marker is a picture of Miss Annie Parks, as she appeared in National Geographic, 1973.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement