Ocilla in Irwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dorminy's Meeting House Young's Meeting House Brushy Creek
The Rev. Archibald Odum was the first regular pastor, beginning his pastorate February 21, 1835.
In 1836, by unanimous agreement of the members, the church was moved to Young`s Meeting House in the 3rd District of Irwin County. The church remained at the Young`s Meeting House site until 1853. On March 26, of that year, upon motion duly made and carried, it was agreed to move the church to Brushy Creek, the present site. Only the old cemeteries remain to mark the locations of Dorminy`s Meeting House and Young`s Meeting House.
Erected by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 077-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 32.783′ N, 83° 13.733′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ocilla GA 31774, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Irwin County Veteran’s Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Irwin County (approx. 3.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 7.9 miles away); a different marker also named Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 11½ miles away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocilla.
More about this marker. The marker was originally mounted on a monopole; it is now one of the very very few Georgia Historic Markers not on a monopole.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,180 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on January 31, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.