Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

El Campanil

 
 
El Campanil Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 26, 2010
1. El Campanil Marker
The marker is mounted to the right of the front entrance to El Campanil.
Inscription.

El Campanil is the
first concrete
reinforced
structure
built west of
the Mississippi

 
Location. 37° 46.723′ N, 122° 10.946′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Wetmore Road. Touch for map. El Campanil is located in the heart of the Mills College Campus, just across the circle from Mills Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland CA 94613, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Latitude Sighting of the Golden Gate (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commemoration of Old Redwood Road from Redwood Canyon (approx. 1.5 miles away); Peralta Hacienda (approx. 2 miles away); Anza Expedition of 1776 (approx. 2 miles away); 442nd Regimental Combat Team Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees (approx. 2.3 miles away); Voyage of the Brooklyn (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Creation of a Park (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Also see . . .
1. El Campanil. The Council of Independent College's Historic Campus Architecture Project page for El Campanil. On the campanile's bells: Ten bells that had
Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 26, 2010
2. Dedication Marker
Mounted to the left of the entrance is a plaque reading:
Designed by architect
Julia Morgan
Dedicated by
Susan T. Mills
April 14, 1904
been cast for the Chicago World's Columbia Exposition of 1893 hang in this tower. They are named after the graces of the Spirit in Galatians V: 22-23. Four of them, "Faith," "Hope," "Peace," and "Joy," ring chimes. The largest bell, "Love," and the smallest, "Meekness," and the others, "Gentleness," "Goodness," "Self-Control," and "Long-Suffering" complete the group.
(Submitted on February 4, 2011.) 

2. Our History. Mill College's history. On noted faculty and visitors:...Many of the world’s foremost artists, politicians, and scholars have taught, lectured, and performed at Mills, including Gertrude Stein, Mark Twain, Darius Milhaud, Alfred Neumeyer, John Cage, Isabel Allende, and Gloria Steinem. Mills continues to draw people interested in experimentation, leadership, social responsibility, and creativity—the hallmarks of a 21st-century Mills education. (Submitted on February 4, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Erected by... image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 26, 2010
3. Erected by...
Above the entrance is a plaque reading:
El Campanil
Erected by
Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Smith
MDCCCIV
Backside of El Campanil image. Click for more information.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 26, 2010
4. Backside of El Campanil
Looking north from behind the campanile, the oldest building on campus, Mills Hall (1871), is visible. Mills Hall is registered as California State Historical Landmark No. 849, although there is apparently no marker in the vicinity to indicate such. Mills College was originally founded as the Young Ladies Seminary in Benicia, which although no longer extant, is registered as California State Historical Landmark No. 795, and does have its own marker.
Click for more information.
El Campanil (1904) - Wide view of front of the campanile. image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 26, 2010
5. El Campanil (1904) - Wide view of front of the campanile.
Designed in the Mission Revival style, the campanile is 72 feet tall, and was the first reinforced concrete building constructed west of the Mississippi River.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 4, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement