Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
by Colonel John Tayloe III (1771-1828)
and his wife Ann Ogle Tayloe (1772-1855)
Dr. William Thornton (1759-1828)
Occupied by President and Mrs. Madison
from August 1814 to March 1815
after the burning of the White House
by the British during the War of 1812
The Treaty of Ghent
ending the War of 1812
was ratified here by President Madison
on February 15, 1815
the American Institute of Architects
Designated a National Historic
Landmark in 1960
Erected by The Octagon Museum.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 53.779′ N, 77° 2.476′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on New York Ave, NW east of 18th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the brick wall connecting the Octagon Museum and the American Institute of Architects - along the abbreviated (one block) extension of "New York Avenue" southwest of the White House complex, corresponding to the westbound leg of E Street, NW. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Octagon (a few steps from this marker); Peace at Last! (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. John A. Rawlins Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Marshall (about 500 feet away); 1801 F Street (about 500 feet away); The American Red Cross - Harvard Field Hospital Unit (about 600 feet away); National Headquarters, American Red Cross (about 600 feet away); Winder Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Also see . . . American Institute of Architects. (Submitted on February 13, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Octagon House; American Architectural Foundation.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Politics • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.