Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spencer in Van Buren County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Forrest

Spencer Artillery Range

 

—ca. 1941-1946 —

 
Camp Forrest Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2011
1. Camp Forrest Marker
Inscription. In January 1941, the Army began construction of the 30,617-acre Spencer Artillery Range as an annex of Camp Forrest. Intended as a firing range for heavy artillery, it was utilized by other units, including infantry. The 2nd Ranger Battalion practiced rappelling and bluff scaling here on the Rocky River Gulf. During the D-Day invasion, that same battalion scaled the bluffs at Point du Hoc near Omaha Beach in Normandy.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2C 25.)
 
Location. 35° 35.241′ N, 85° 28.25′ W. Marker is in Spencer, Tennessee, in Van Buren County. Marker is at the intersection of Shelby a Rhinehart Memorial Highway (Tennessee Route 111) and Trail of Tears Road, on the right when traveling north on Shelby a Rhinehart Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spencer TN 38585, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail of Tears (here, next to this marker); Gilbert Gaul, Civil War Painter (approx. 7.2 miles away); Sequatchie College (approx. 11.8 miles away); Old Madison (approx. 12.3 miles away); Beersheba Inn (approx. 13.3 miles away); Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (approx. 13.3 miles away); Mary Noailles Murfree (approx. 13.4 miles away); Forrest's Bivouac (approx. 15.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spencer.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. War, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2011, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 13, 2011, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement