Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Blockhouse

 

—National Historic Landmark —

 
Fort Pitt Blockhouse Marker National Park Service image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 17, 2011
1. Fort Pitt Blockhouse Marker National Park Service
Inscription.
(Right side of entrance)
Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Block House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

(Left side of entrance)
Historic Landmark Fort Pitt Block House Constructed in 1764 Only Surviving Structure of Fort Pitt Pittsburgh's Oldest Architectural Landmark
 
Erected by (left) Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation (right) National Park Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 40° 26.468′ N, 80° 0.581′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from Three Rivers Heritage Trail System just from Interstate 279. Touch for map. Located in Point State Park. Mounted to gate pillars at entrance to block house. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forbes Road (a few steps from this marker); Wall Section Through Rampart of Fort Pitt (a few steps from this marker); The Site of Fort Pitt

Fort Pitt Blockhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 17, 2011
2. Fort Pitt Blockhouse Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Edith Darlington Ammon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Venango Path (within shouting distance of this marker); The Forks of the Ohio (within shouting distance of this marker); David L. Lawrence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The King's Garden (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMan-Made FeaturesWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Pitt Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 17, 2011
3. Fort Pitt Blockhouse
Fort Pitt Blockhouse Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 17, 2011
4. Fort Pitt Blockhouse Entrance
Bouquet's Redoubt/Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, circa 1914
5. Bouquet's Redoubt/Blockhouse
Frontal exterior view of Fort Pitt Blockhouse Notes: A redoubt is a small, often temporary defensive fortification. Bouquet's redoubt is the last remaining redoubt of five built in 1764 and is one of the last vestiges of 18th century buildings in Pittsburgh. Courtesy: Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
Fort Pitt Blockhouse, 1901 image. Click for full size.
By Unknown
6. Fort Pitt Blockhouse, 1901
Not Dedicated image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 15, 2016
7. Not Dedicated
Property of
Fort Pitt Society
Daughters of the American Revolution
Allegheny county, PA.
1966

This oddly worded plaque in the sidewalk in front of the Fort Pitt Blockhouse indicates that the blockhouse does not belong to Point State Park but to the Fort Pitt Society of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the DAR. There are 4 of them, marking the corners of the DAR property.
A*D*<br>1764~<br>Coll ~ Bouquet image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 15, 2016
8. A*D*
1764~
Coll ~ Bouquet
Plaque above the door of the blockhouse
Royal Seal<br>on the door of the Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 15, 2016
9. Royal Seal
on the door of the Blockhouse
Honi soit qui mal y pense
"Shame on whosoever would think badly of it,"
The Blockhouse Used as a Dwelling image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
10. The Blockhouse Used as a Dwelling
Around 1795 the Blockhouse was incorporated into a dwelling house and remained so until 1894 when the property came to the DAR as a gift from Mary Schenley, "Pittsburgh's Fairy Godmother." Before the blockhouse became DAR property, the "Coll. Bouquet, 1764" plaque (visible in this image) was removed and installed in the wall of the staircase of City Hall. The DAR successfully petitioned the Council for the return of the plaque to its current location.
Image from Fort Duquesne and Fort Pitt, 1899 by the Pittsburgh DAR.
DAR Emblem<br>on the Blockhouse Fence<br>PPG Building Behind image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, October 15, 2016
11. DAR Emblem
on the Blockhouse Fence
PPG Building Behind
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   5. submitted on April 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   6. submitted on April 1, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   7, 8, 9. submitted on October 23, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   10, 11. submitted on November 1, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement