Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Adel in Cook County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cook County

 
 
Cook County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Cook County Marker
Inscription. This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 30, 1918, is named for Gen. Philip Cook who fought in the States and Seminole Wars. He served in Congress from 1872 to '82, was Secretary of State for Georgia 1890-94 and 1898-1918. He served as one of five Commissioners to erect the present State Capitol. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W. T. Dougherty, Ordinary C. O. Smith, Clerk of Superior Court F. R. Booth, Tax Receiver J. A. Kinnard, Tax Collector J. B. Wright, Treasurer W. M. Tyson, Surveyor E. R. Slade and Coroner A. D. Wiseman.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 037-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 8.353′ N, 83° 25.444′ W. Marker is in Adel, Georgia, in Cook County. Marker is on North Hutchinson Avenue (U.S. 41) 0 miles south of West 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Cook County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 North Hutchinson Avenue, Adel GA 31620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adel Lime Sink (approx. mile
Cook County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Cook County Marker
Looking north on North Hutchinson Avenue
away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 6.5 miles away); Reed Bingham State Park Bridge (approx. 7.1 miles away); Battle of Brushy Creek (approx. 7.6 miles away); Indian Fights (approx. 11.3 miles away); Berrien County (approx. 11.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 11.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adel.
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Cook County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
3. Cook County Marker
The marker in front of the Cook County Courthouse
Cook County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
4. Cook County Courthouse
Cook County's first purpose-built courthouse was erected in 1939.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement