Near Albany in Lee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Palmyra Baptist Church was one of the earliest in this area. In 1867, when the white population dwindled, this property was given to the Negroes. By the church, in a small cemetery, John Mercer, uncle of Rev. Jesse Mercer, and others are buried. On a hill, ½ mile NW, is the larger Palmyra Cemetery. Beyond the church, toward Leesburg, part of the old Mercer home remains. Near here, at the “square” spring, is the site of Watson’s Cotton Gin Factory, where “articles manufactured are said to be unrivaled in their performance and durability.”
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 38.27′ N, 84° 11.672′ W. Marker is near Albany, Georgia, in Lee County. Marker is on Palmyra Road 0.1 miles north of Fussell Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The markers stands at the Palmyra Baptist Church Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2916 Palmyra Road, Albany GA 31701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edward Vason Jones (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cox Landing Park (approx. 3.3 miles away); Albany Home of Governor George D. Busbee (approx. 3.4 miles away); Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital (approx. 4 miles away); Albany’s First Brick House (approx. 4˝ miles away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 4.7 miles away); Colonel Nelson Tift (approx. 4.8 miles away); Dougherty County (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.