Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Built to replace building destroyed by fire in 1925
pioneer & prominent landowner
Occupied by the
James Hotel - James Bulger, proprietor
Until closed in 1979
Historic Marker XIII
Martinez Historical Society
October 12, 1998
Erected 1998 by Martinez Historical Society. (Marker Number XIII.)
Location. 38° 1.078′ N, 122° 8.123′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Ferry Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Main Street, Martinez CA 94553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Rankin Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bergamini Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 736 Ferry Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McNamara-McMahon Building (about 300 feet away); State Theatre (about 400 feet away); Martinez Public Library (about 400 feet away); City Hall Apartment Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinez.
More about this marker. Although the main address for the Hook Building is 801 Main Street, the marker is closest to 817 Main, i.e. at the easternmost edge of the building.
Also see . . .
1. Hook Building. The Martinez Historical Society's page for the Hook Building: ...Built in 1927 to replace the old Hook building that dates to 1853. This new building housed the James Hotel and Coffee Shop along with various businesses. A cigar factory was located on the Ferry Street side where the Hoffman family made widely known Blue Bird Cigars. (Submitted on March 1, 2011.)
2. William and Miranda Hook and Family. The Martinez Historical Society's page for the Hook Family. (Submitted on March 1, 2011.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.