Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Troy in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

WACO Aircraft Company

(Weaver Aircraft Company)

 
 
WACO Aircraft Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
1. WACO Aircraft Company Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1921 as the Weaver Aircraft Company and located in Lorain, Ohio, the Waco Aircraft Company relocated to Troy in March 1923. It was the first aircraft company to use assembly line production and shock strut landing gear. Leading all civilian aircraft production at a ratio of two to one from 1927-1929, the company had sales distributors in 24 countries worldwide. The United States government became the prime contractor of Waco Aircraft Company's troop/cargo gliders (CG-4A) used extensively during World War II. The company also managed the U.S. Army's glider program for 15 companies that produced gliders nationwide. The last WACO, model W "Aristrocraft," was built in Troy in June 1947.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Troy, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-55.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 0.778′ N, 84° 11.99′ W. Marker is near Troy, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on County Road 25A, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the NW side of the red 1856 barn at WACO Field, about 300 feet SE
WACO Aircraft Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
2. WACO Aircraft Company Marker
of the intersection of County Road 25A and Swailes Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1865 S. County Road 25A, Piqua OH 45356, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Cemetery / Abraham Thomas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Junior Girls Canteen 1943-1946 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dilts Warehouse Plant No. 1 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Engine Storage Location (approx. 1.8 miles away); Troy's Public Square & Third Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Overfield Tavern (approx. 1.9 miles away); Staunton Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Troy Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
 
Also see . . .
1. WACO Air Museum. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. WACO Aircraft Models. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. WACO Collection at the Smithsonian. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. WACO Collection at Wright State University. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Air & SpaceIndustry & Commerce
 
WACO Aircraft Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
3. WACO Aircraft Company Marker
Along wall of 1856 barn. Looking east.
WACO Field Sign image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
4. WACO Field Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2011, by Scott Beckerman of Kettering, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement