Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

House of John Plume

 
 
House of John Plume Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 6, 2011
1. House of John Plume Marker
Inscription. This house, probably the oldest in Newark, was built by John Plume about 1726, of native sandstone from the neighboring quarries. It witnessed many stirring events of the Revolution and by it passed Washington’s army on its retreat from Long Island. Here in 1887 the Rev. Hannibal Goodwin invented the sensitive film, marking a great advance in the art of photography.
 
Erected 1925 by Newark Chapter, New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 44.875′ N, 74° 10.258′ W. Marker is in Newark, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue/Broad Street and State Street, on the right when traveling south on University Avenue/Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark NJ 07102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plume House (a few steps from this marker); Donald T. Dust Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Seth Boyden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christopher Columbus (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different
Newark Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 6, 2011
2. Newark Marker
marker also named Seth Boyden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Lucy's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Line of March of Washington’s Army (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First Academy in Newark (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
John Plume House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 6, 2011
3. John Plume House
The marker is seen here on the left corner of the Plume House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement