Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Cutter House

1882

 
 
Cutter House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 18, 2011
1. Cutter House Marker
Inscription. Judson C. Cutter, an entrepreneur, commissioned the construction of this house, but he never lived here. The house is designed in a late Victorian period style, sometimes called Stick-Eastlake. The decorative surface treatment, which seems to show the structure of the house, belies the mass of the building. Charles Lock Eastlake was an English tastemaker and author.
 
Erected 1976 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 48.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.853′ N, 89° 21.981′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Jenifer Street 0.1 miles east of South Brearly Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1030 Jenifer Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mills Brothers Commercial Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Curtis-Kittleson House (about 500 feet away); Orton Park (about 500 feet away); Harvey Hospital (about 600 feet away); Governor Leonard Farwell lived here, in his octagonal mansion
Cutter House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 18, 2011
2. Cutter House Marker
A view of the house from the south. The marker is on the front porch railing.
(about 600 feet away); Shipley-Shuttleworth House (about 600 feet away); Lougee House (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Orton Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Cutter House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "J. C. Cutter, identified in city directories as a 'capitalist,' apparently built this house as an investment property, because it was leased to various tenants until 1890. It retains much of its original surface trim, including panels of decorative siding in a variety of patterns. The steeply-pitched gables have elaborate braces and bargeboards, and some windows are capped with shed-type window hoods. The Cutter house is the best example of the rare Stick Style remaining in Madison and it is one of the most highly detailed nineteenth century buildings in the City. In our harsh climate many old buildings that have survived to the 21st century have had much of their original trim either removed or covered by siding, making the elaborate decoration on the Cutter all the more important to preserve."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission
Cutter House Detail image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 18, 2011
3. Cutter House Detail
. The landmark nomination form for the house. (Submitted on March 20, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Cutter House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 18, 2011
4. Cutter House
Cutter House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, March 18, 2011
5. Cutter House
The northeast side of the house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 880 times since then and 182 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement