Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chaska in Carver County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Little Rapids Fur Post

 
 
Little Rapids Fur Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donna Johnson, March 17, 2011
1. Little Rapids Fur Post Marker
Inscription. By 1804 Jean B. Faribault was trading in furs for the Northwest Company near the "Little Rapids" of the Minnesota River, 5 miles south of this point, and in this vicinity. His fur post of 1824 on the site of Chaska became the nucleus for the first Catholic mission in Carver County under Father Ravous.

[Seals of the Minnesota Department of Highways and the Minnesota Historical Society]
 
Erected 1938 by the Minnesota Department of Highways; the Minnesota Historical Society. (Marker Number CR-CKC-057.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 46.963′ N, 93° 36.72′ W. Marker is in Chaska, Minnesota, in Carver County. Marker is on Chaska Boulevard (County Highway 61) 0.3 miles west of North Hickory Street (County Road 140), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at a highway pull-off. Marker is in this post office area: Chaska MN 55318, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brinkhaus Livery Stable (approx. 0.6 miles away); City Square Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Van De Veire Knoll
Little Rapids Fur Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donna Johnson, March 17, 2011
2. Little Rapids Fur Post Marker
(approx. 1.3 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Funk Hardware Store (approx. 1.5 miles away); Church by-the River, Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Minnesota Valley Oil Co. (approx. 1.5 miles away); Stephen Kult Clothing Store (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chaska.
 
Also see . . .
1. Minnesota Department of Transportation. Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory. "Prior to the erection of the stone marker, a 3' by 5' white steel sign with black lettering was at or near this site. It had been erected as early as 1930 by the first joint trunk highway marking program that was established by the Minnesota Historical Society and the Minnesota Department of Highways in 1929. Historic photos indicate that, when the stone marker was built, this steel sign was installed in the stone marker prior to the installation of the current bronze plaque." (Submitted on March 21, 2011.) 

2. Minnesota Department of Transportation. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. (Submitted on March 21, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Industry & Commerce
 
Little Rapids Fur Post Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donna Johnson, March 17, 2011
3. Little Rapids Fur Post Marker
National Register of Historic Places #10000415
Listed July 6, 2010
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement