Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Granger Brethren Church
The Czechs first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the early 1880s. Services were held sporadically whenever a traveling minister was available to preach. The Rev. Adolph Chlumsky, a Czech Brethren minister from Brenham, encouraged the people here to organize a church. On July 10, 1892, the officially founded a congregation and elected Chlumsky pastor. He commuted from Brenham to serve the congregation for the next 18 years. The congregation built its first church structure in 1901.
On December 29, 1903, under the leadership of the Rev. Mr. Chlumsky, the Evangelical Unity of the Czech-Moravian Brethren in North America (Unity of the Brethren) denomination officially was organized at Granger Brethren Church.
In 1910 Chlumsky was succeeded by the Rev. Josef Barton, Sr., who became the first resident pastor. The church continued to thrive over the years, serving the community with a variety of programs. It remains an important part of Williamson County history.
Erected 1992 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9099.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 W Broadway St, Granger TX 76530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (within shouting distance of this marker); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brick Streets in Granger (about 600 feet away); A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. ¼ mile away); Granger City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Young House (approx. half a mile away); Granger High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Macedonia Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Also see . . . Granger Brethren Church - History. (Submitted on December 10, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 10, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.