Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marine City in Saint Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Cross Parish

 
 
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
1. Holy Cross Parish Marker
Inscription. Father Gabriel Richard received this triangular plot of land by way of a grant from President John Quincy Adams on April 1, 1825. This area, known as Catholic Point, contains, among other buildings a church, a rectory, a convent, the former high school, a new high school, and a grade school. The present church edifice, the second to stand on the site, was built in 1903. A bell, which formerly hung in the original Church, was cast in Normandy, France in 1825. The tracker organ in the Church was built in 1861 and is one of the earliest American-built models in Michigan. Among former pastors of Holy Cross Parish, in addition to Father Gabriel Richard, were the saintly missionary Bishop Frederic Baraga, and a pioneer priest of Saint Clair, Father Lawrence Kilroy. Holy Cross Parish has remained in continuous use and service to the people for over 150 years.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0546.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 42.79′ N, 82° 29.658′ W. Marker is in Marine City, Michigan, in Saint Clair County. Marker is on South Water Street south of Bridge Street, on the
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
2. Holy Cross Parish Marker
right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 South Water Street, Marine City MI 48039, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newport Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); David and Laura Lester House (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Our Lady on the River Parish. (Submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Holy Cross Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 26, 2011
3. Holy Cross Parish Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement