Port Huron in Saint Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Methodist Episcopal Church
This congregation dates from 1849, when people worshipped in log barracks within Fort Gratiot. Known as the Mission of Fort Gratiot, it was served by circuit riders until 1859 when the Reverend Samuel Clemens began his tenure. The present church building comprises one erected in 1866, and named Gratiot Park Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as contemporary additions. In 1968 the church was formally renamed the Gratiot Park United Methodist Church.
In 1859 the Reverend A. E. Ketchum established a Methodist class at the Fort Gratiot Mission. Church "brothers" ventured to remote areas seeking new members. As industry and business came into the area, the church's ministries enjoyed new success. In 1866 a chapel had been built at Fort Gratiot; three years later the Methodist Episcopal Church, Detroit Conference, appointed the first fully independent pastor to the Fort Gratiot church.
Erected 1995 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1506.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 0.108′ N, 82° 25.719′ W. Marker is in Port Huron Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 811 Church Street, Port Huron MI 48060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Saint Joseph (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The "John S. Martin" (approx. ¼ mile away); Great Storm of 1913 and Sailors Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Tom Edison at Grand Trunk (approx. ¼ mile away); Immigration (approx. ¼ mile away); Native Americans (approx. ¼ mile away); Ships on the St. Clair (approx. ¼ mile away); All Aboard! (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Huron.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on August 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on August 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.