Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Mahoning Dispatch Building

 
 
The Mahoning Dispatch Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 27, 2011
1. The Mahoning Dispatch Building Marker
Inscription. For ninety-one years, The Mahoning Dispatch served Canfield and the surrounding communities, earning the distinction of being the oldest continuously published newspaper owned by a single family in Mahoning County. The first edition of the weekly journal was published May 4, 1877, with a yearly subscription price of $1.50, to be paid in advance. Founded by Canfield native and Civil War veteran Henry Manning Fowler, The Mahoning Dispatch was originally located on the corner of East Main and Broad streets. In 1893, the business was moved to this location, which was built by Pierpont Edwards in 1866 to serve as a grocery store. The journal was one of the first printers in the area to purchase a linotype composing machine, which replaced the method of hand setting type. Published by three generations of the Fowler family, the newspaper was discontinued in 1968, maintaining its “country” paper characteristics to the end.
 
Erected 2007 by Canfield Historical Society, Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff and Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 24-50.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 1.443′ 
The Mahoning Dispatch Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, March 27, 2011
2. The Mahoning Dispatch Building and Marker
N, 80° 45.614′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on South Broad Street (Ohio Route 46) south of Main Street (U.S. 224), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 South Broad Street, Canfield, Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Canfield Township Hall (a few steps from this marker); Canfield Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield War Vet Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 500 feet away); Canfield WPA Memorial Building (about 700 feet away); Canfield Christian Church (about 700 feet away); Old Mahoning County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement