Canfield in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Mahoning County Courthouse
Mahoning County was created in 1846 by combining townships from southern Trumbull and northern Columbiana counties. Canfield engaged in competition with several surrounding communities for the new county seat, and its success was attributed to its central location along with the state and local political influence of Judge Eben Newton and Elisha Whittlesey, Esquire, Comptroller of the United States Treasury from 1849-1857. To become the county seat, the State of Ohio required “a suitable lot and $5,000 toward public buildings.” Judge Newton donated the land and spearheaded the subscription of the state required bond. Once attained, construction progressed rapidly on the Classical Revival style courthouse, completed in June 1848. The Italianate style West wing was added in 1862, but its government status was challenged when in the early 1870s, Youngstown, by now a city, resumed its earlier challenge for the county seat.
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
To meet the challenge, Canfield hired future president of the United States James A. Garfield to defend it in the United States Supreme Court. The Court's 1876 decision favored Youngstown thus ending Canfield's era as the seat of Mahoning Valley government. With government records removed to Youngstown,
Erected 2003 by Canfield Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.311′ N, 80° 45.656′ W. Marker is in Canfield, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and South Broad Street (Ohio Route 46), on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Court Street, Canfield OH 44406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Canfield WPA Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Canfield Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canfield Congregational Church / Canfield United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Mahoning Dispatch Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canfield Green (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canfield Township Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canfield War Vet Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canfield.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.