Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockeford in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Harmony Grove Church

 
 
Harmony Grove Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 2, 2011
1. Harmony Grove Church Marker
Inscription. First and oldest Protestant house in northern San Joaquin County. Built in 1859 on land donated by Donald J. Staples. Constructed of bricks given by Dr. D.J. Locke, founder of Lockeford and Mr. James Tallmadge, a builder and brick mason. Built by public subscription. Restoration initiated by Lockeford-Clements Women's Club. Donated to San Joaquin County and dedicated May 27, 1973. Building actively used by the community. Registered as a Point of Historical Interest February 1982. Plaque placed Joaquin Parlor No. 5, Native Daughters of the Golden West May 16, 1982.
 
Erected 1982 by Native Daughters of the Golden West, Joaquin Parlor No. 5.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.829′ N, 121° 10.579′ W. Marker is in Lockeford, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Locke Road and Brandt Road, on the right when traveling west on E. Locke Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11455 E. Locke Road, Lockeford CA 95237, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Hill / Lockeford (approx. 1.8 miles away);
Harmony Grove Church and Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 2, 2011
2. Harmony Grove Church and Marker - wide view
The marker is to the left of the entrance.
Hale Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); City Hall, Fire House and Jail (approx. 5.2 miles away); The First A&W Root Beer (approx. 5.3 miles away); Hotel Lodi (approx. 5.4 miles away); Laura de Force Gordon (approx. 5.6 miles away); Woman's Club of Lodi (approx. 5.6 miles away); Athearn School Bell (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Harmony Grove Church's Restoration Records. The Online Archives of California's description of the papers relating to the restoration of the church provide additional information: In 1965, a century-old abandoned Methodist Episcopal Church, located at Harmony Grove Cemetery near Lockeford, Calif., faced demolition after a developer purchased the land. Recognizing the historical significance of the structure and property, many interested people, including members of the Lockeford-Clements Woman's Club, successfully circulated a petition both to stop development and to restore the old brick church. The Lockeford-Clements Woman's Club received state and national citations for spearheading the campaign to save the church. In September 1967 County
Harmony Grove Church image. Click for full size.
By V. Covert Martin, 1938
3. Harmony Grove Church
This photo, courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey, shows the Harmony Grove Church as it appeared in 1938.
Supervisors and property owner, Lloyd Dawson of Lodi, reached an agreement whereby Dawson deeded the church and part of the surrounding property to San Joaquin County,....
(Submitted on April 3, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Harmony Grove Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 2, 2011
4. Harmony Grove Cemetery
Behind the church is the Harmony Grove Cemetery, comprised of 7 acres and containing more than 3,500 graves.
Harmony Grove Church image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 2, 2011
5. Harmony Grove Church
Harmony Grove Church NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
6. Harmony Grove Church NRHP Marker
Harmony Grove Church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 3, 2011

In memory of Valerie Eveline Gordon
1915-2000
In recognition of
her efforts to save
Harmony Grove Church
Harmony Grove Church with both markers image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
7. Harmony Grove Church with both markers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 3, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   6, 7. submitted on March 18, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement