New Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On This High Ground
At the edge of the hill above the river a battery of the American Army under Captain Alexander Hamilton covered the crossing while General Washington with his troops in retreat was in the city November 29 to December 1, 1776.
Erected 1930 by New Brunswick Theological Seminary.
Location. 40° 30.112′ N, 74° 26.878′ W. Marker is in New Brunswick, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Seminary Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Rutgers Student Activities Center, on the grounds of Rutgers University. Marker is in this post office area: New Brunswick NJ 08901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Daniel S. Schanck Observatory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Queen’s College (approx. ¼ mile away); Men of Rutgers College (approx. ¼ mile away); Theological Education in Old Queens (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Queens (approx. ¼ Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery (approx. ¼ mile away); Geology Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Class of 1924 Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brunswick.
Also see . . . Washington's Retreat Through Jersey. (Submitted on July 7, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on April 5, 2011, by Robert C. Goodyear of Warminster, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.