Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Synagogue in Georgia
Congregation Mickve Israel consecrated
the first synagogue to be erected
in the State of Georgia
This tablet authorized by the Savannah-Chatham County
Historic Site and Monument Commission
Location. 32° 4.508′ N, 81° 5.675′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from West Liberty Street near Whitaker Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This is located in the sidewalk. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Old Sorrel–Weed House (about 500 feet away); The Rotary Club of Savannah (about 500 feet away); Madison Square (about 500 feet away); History Of Emancipation: Special Field Orders No. 15 (about 500 feet away); Original Presbyterian Meeting House (about 500 feet away); Sherman's Headquarters (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding First Synagogue in Georgia. This corner location
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. see the relationship, study marker shown.
Also see . . . A History of Congregation Mickve Israel. the first synagogue to be erected in the State of Georgia, was consecrated by Dr. De la Motta on July 21, 1820. Commemorating the event is a bronze plaque embedded in the sidewalk near the site, on the northeast corner of Liberty and Whitaker streets.The small wooden structure was destroyed by fire on December 4, 1829, though the Torahs and ark were saved without injury. (Submitted on April 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.