Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Le Roy in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Le Roy House

 
 
Le Roy House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Pamela Scott, April 2, 2011
1. Le Roy House Marker
Inscription. Built before 1812 as a land office for the Triangle Tract. Deeded to Union Free School District 1911.
 
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Departmentment.
 
Location. 42° 58.694′ N, 77° 59.126′ W. Marker is in Le Roy, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on East Main Street (New York State Route 5) west of North Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 East Main, Le Roy NY 14482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Town of LeRoy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ingham University Campus (about 600 feet away); Ingham University (about 800 feet away); Statue of Liberty Replica (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herman Le Roy's Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jell-O Company (approx. half a mile away); First Jell-O Factory (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ganson Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Le Roy.
 
More about this marker. The Le Roy House is the location of the Le Roy Historical Society. The Jell-O Factory museum is located directly behind the house.
 
Regarding Le Roy House.
Le Roy House Marker in distance image. Click for full size.
By Pamela Scott, April 2, 2011
2. Le Roy House Marker in distance
The house was originally a land office, expanded in two stages during the 19th century by its builder, Jacob Le Roy, an early settler for whom the village is named. After the Revolutionary War, Robert Morris bought the land west of the Genesee River which now makes up Western New York from the state of Massachusetts. Most of this he later sold to the Holland Land Company, but in 1793 the New York firm of LeRoy & Bayard acquired 87,000 acres from him. Because of its shape, stretching from the current village of Le Roy to the shores of Lake Ontario and widening to the north, it was called the Triangle Tract.
 
Also see . . .
1. Le Roy Historical Society, Inc. (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Le Roy House and Union Free School. Wikipedia (Submitted on April 10, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The Le Roy House image. Click for full size.
By Pamela Scott, April 2, 2011
3. The Le Roy House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2011, by Pamela Scott of Brockport, New York. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2011, by Pamela Scott of Brockport, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement