Charles H. Chipman Cultural Center
The building was later expanded, incorporated in 1876, and named the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church. It was later combined with another church and formed the present Wesley Temple United Methodist Church. The property was abandoned as a church and purchased by educators Charles and Jeanette Chipman. They later deeded the property to the Newtown Association.
Erected by Funding provided by the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore, Delmarva Low Impact Tourism Experiences, Inc., Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, Lower Eastern Shore Heritage Council, and the Rural Development Center, University of Maryland
Location. 38° 22.083′ N, 75° 35.75′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Ellen Street on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury MD 21801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wicomico Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Poplar Hill Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Newtown Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); The General Humphreys Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wye Oak Seedling (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Byrd Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Newtown Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gen. John Henry Winder, C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 514 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.