Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Acacia Life Insurance Building – 1936
On March 3, 1869, President Andrew Johnson signed the Congressional Act chartering The Masonic Mutual Relief Association that became Acacia Life Insurance Company.
Built as its headquarters and occupied by Acacia until 1997, the building serves as an example of American neoclassical art deco architecture by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, New York – designers of The Empire State Building.
The Griffins, mythological creatures that guarded the treasures of Scythia, were designed by Edmond R. Amateis, who also designed the bronze doors, west façade, U.S. Capitol.
Location. 38° 53.635′ N, 77° 0.667′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Louisiana Avenue, NW west of North Capitol Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Louisiana Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Reservation 196 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Monument (approx. “The President’s Trees” (approx. ¼ mile away); Albert Pike Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Famine-Genocide in Ukraine (approx. ¼ mile away); Delaware Avenue & Columbus Circle, NE (approx. ¼ mile away); Building Out the Square (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Also see . . .
1. DC Memorials: Acacia Griffin Statues. (Submitted on February 26, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Edmond Romulus Amateis, sculptor. (Submitted on February 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on February 26, 2011. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.