Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Avery in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Avery / County Seat

 
 
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
1. Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
Inscription.
Camp Avery
1811 One-fourth mile southwest from the site on the brow of the hill overlooking the eastern bank of the Huron River, Gen. Simon Perkins, commanding the Ohio Militia, built the fortifications and block house of Camp Avery for protection of early settlers from British and Indians.

County Seat
1811 On this site was located Avery, first county seat of Huron County.Here stood the two story log house used as a court house and jail.
1818 County seat moved from here to Norwalk.
1838 Erie County was established from the northern part of Huron County.

This locality was frequented by tribes of Indians: Ottowas, Miamis, Chippewas and Senecas.
 
Erected 1930 by Martha Pitkin Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 41° 19.841′ N, 82° 34.498′ W. Marker is near Avery, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on River Road 0.3 miles south of East Mason Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is located out in the middle of an open rural region with no buildings or structures in the immediate
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
2. Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
View of the Camp Avery / County Seat marker with a veteran's grave on either side of the historical marker.
area. It is on the east side of the Huron River, just north of the Ohio turnpike, north of Milan, Ohio, east of Avery, Ohio, and south of Huron, Ohio. Marker is in this post office area: Milan OH 44846, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milan Canal Basin (approx. 2.6 miles away); Edison Recalls Milan (approx. 2.6 miles away); Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison (approx. 2.6 miles away); Milan (approx. 2.8 miles away); Erie County (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Wright House and the Underground Railroad/Old Main Street (approx. 4.5 miles away); Historic Roadway (approx. 5.5 miles away); First Cedar Point Road (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. According to the website provided by the Erie County Commissioners, "When the War of 1812 broke out there was a small militia unit stationed at Fort Avery, a stockade on the Huron River north of Milan. These troops and local civilians fought a contingent of Indians on the Marblehead Peninsula in September 1812. This was the first battle of that war in Ohio and one of the few skirmishes in the state."
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship,
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
3. Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
View of the gravestone of Gideon Braley, a Revolutionary War veteran, whose gravestone is on the left side of the Camp Avery / County Seat marker.
study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Firelands. This is a link to the Erie County Board of Commissioners' website which is dedicated and designed to provide information to school age children who are looking for basic information pertaining to Erie County. (Submitted on April 23, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
4. Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
View of the gravestone of David Barrett, a War of 1812 veteran, whose gravestone is on the right side of the Camp Avery / County Seat marker.
Camp Avery / County Seat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 21, 2011
5. Camp Avery / County Seat Marker
View looking north along River Road, of the historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 24, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement