near Fairbanks in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Turpentine Industry Community and Family
The naval stores industry was important to maritime power worldwide. Pine tar and pitch were used to seal wooden ships and protect sails and rigging. When settlers came to America - in Florida (1565), in Virginia (1607) and in Massachusetts (1620) - they found vast pine forests with resinous tar and pitch, a scarce commodity for European competitors with wooden fleets. Settlers at first produced pine pitch and tar by distilling resin-soaked fat pine wood from dead tree logs, limbs and knots, covering them with soil and burning them to yield tar and charcoal. After fat pine wood became scarce, pitch was made by chopping deep cavities or "boxes" near the base of living trees to collect gum. Only crude gum was exported until simple distillation techniques separated volatile turpentine from the residual rosin poured hot into barrels for domestic use or export. During the next three hundred years, with little change, this forest product industry prospered, first in the Carolinas, then Georgia and Florida to become a major U.S. industry. Production of gum was greatly accelerated and tree life protected when the Herty clay cups, introduced in early 1900's, replaced cut boxes.
From 1909 until 1923, Florida led the nation in pine gum production. In 1909, the peak year in the U.S.A.
Erected 2004 by Florida Society of American Foresters and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F- 516.)
Location. 29° 43.582′ N, 82° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesville FL 32609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major General John R Alison (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gainesville Regional Airport (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); The Bailey House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Roper Park / Old City Park (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); "The Great Endurance Run" (approx. 6.5 miles away).
Also see . . . The marker, approved by the Florida Secretary of State, Division of Historic Resources,. was placed in front of the private cemetery portion of the Fairbanks, Florida Baptist Church, and gravesite of Ellis Mize on State Road 24. (Submitted on April 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 27, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.