Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Troops at Camp Conrad were reviewed on December 7, 1898, by Major General James H. Wilson, who commanded the Federal army that engaged in the Battle of Columbus, April 16th, 1865.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-16A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 29.6′ N, 84° 59.383′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Avenue (Georgia Route 85) and 32nd Street, on the right when traveling north on Second Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alma Woodsey Thomas (approx. Secondary Industrial School (approx. ¾ mile away); Eugene J. Bullard, 1895-1961 / World’s First Black Combat Aviator (approx. 0.9 miles away); City Mills (approx. one mile away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses (approx. 1.1 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Night Attack Down Summerville Road (approx. 1.2 miles away in Alabama); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Camp Conrad Photographs. Digital Collections, Kentucky Historical Society (Submitted on May 9, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,201 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.