Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Girls High School
The Anderson County Museum is situated on the former site of Anderson Girls High School. The original structure, an imposing multi-story brick building, was built in 1918. At that time, both boys and girls attended the school known as Anderson High School. In 1921, a fire swept through the building requiring extensive repairs. In 1923, the school administration decided to split the student body along gender lines. Girls attended the newly named Anderson Girls High School, and the boys attended Anderson Boys High School, which was located at the corner of Broyles and South McDuffie Street.
In 1961-1962, the student body from Girls High School moved to their new school (T.L. Hanna) on Greenville Highway. The former Girls High School structure would be used for many educational purposes but eventually deterioration caused it to be demolished in 1970. In 1971, the new Anderson County Library was built on the site. In May 2003, the newly renovated library building opened its doors as the Anderson County Museum.
Erected 2010 by Anderson County Museum.
Location. 34° 30.6′ N, 82° 38.967′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on East Greenville Street (State Highway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 East Greenville Street, Anderson SC 29621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Old Reformer" Cannon (a few steps from this marker); James Lawrence Orr (within shouting distance of this marker); Orr Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Boy High School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Reformer (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Frierson School House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McGee Harness Shop (about 300 feet away); Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anderson County Library (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . . Anderson County Museum. The Anderson County Museum collects, preserves, and interprets artifacts that document the history of Anderson County and educates a diverse audience by creating a place where visitors find meaning in learning the local, regional, and national significance of Anderson County and its citizens. (Submitted on May 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.