Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Snead Island / Seventh Day Adventist School
Snead Island takes its name from Edward Snead, who homesteaded 128 acres o the end of this 740-acre island in 1843. A federal project opened a navigable channel in 1898 through the shallow flats on the eastern end of the island connectng the Manatee River and Terra Ceia Bay. This channel, which became known as the "Cut-Off", saved several hours of travel time. A ferry connected Snead Island with the mainland. In 1907, Ed Pillsbury, who tended the two beacon lights at the mouth of the Manatee River, built the Pillsbury Boat Works. He and hs wife, Lorena, and their children had moved to the island from Fogartyville across the river. Lorena Pillsbury's sister, Olive Mae, and her husband, Lonnie Campbell, a fisherman, followed the Pillsburys to the island.
Seventh Day Adventist School
The Pillsburys and the Campbells each had five children, most of whom attended school in the Pillsbury's washhouse. The four sons of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Andress joined them. Esther Mae Mikkelsen was employed as the school's first teacher. In 1914, George H. Judd donated a lot of lumber for the construction of a community school, which became known as the Seventh Day Adventist School. A small group of Seventh Day Adventists from Michigan had settled in the area in March 1885 creating the first Seventh Day Adventist
Erected 2003 by Manatee County Historical Commission, Manatee County Board of Commissioners.
Location. 27° 31.569′ N, 82° 37.042′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 13th Street West, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between 48th and 51st Avenues West. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4907 13th Street West, Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palma Sola (approx. 1.2 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Adams and Rogers Cemeteries (approx. 1.9 miles away); Palma Sola Community Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Plymouth (approx. 2.6 miles away); Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg Palmetto Baptist Church/Dr. M.B. Harrison (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.