Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Central United Methodist Church

 
 
Central United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
1. Central United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory of Michigan, approved a constitution for the First Methodist Episcopal Society May 17, 1822. This church, a direct successor, was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd. It was completed in 1867 by the combined efforts of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the Congress Street Society. When Woodward Avenue was widened in 1936, a thirty-foot section was removed from the nave, and the front and tower were subsequently relocated. The sanctuary was then rededicated. The stained-glass windows were installed in 1955. Maintaining the tradition of an open door and free pulpit, Central United Methodist Church has been called "the conscience of a city."
 
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L535.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 20.232′ N, 83° 3.039′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Adams Avenue and Woodward Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Adams Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 E Adams Ave, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Central United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
2. Central United Methodist Church
within walking distance of this marker. Edwin Denby Enlistment (within shouting distance of this marker); Music Hall (approx. mile away); The Harmonie Club (approx. mile away); Germantown (approx. mile away); Grand Army of the Republic Building (approx. mile away); Statue of Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry the Hatter (approx. 0.3 miles away); Finney Barn (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Central Methodist Church - History (pdf file). (Submitted on May 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement