Chelmsford in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
First School for Lip-Reading
Erected 1952 by the Clarke School Alumni Association.
Location. 42° 35.897′ N, 71° 21.181′ W. Marker is in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Academy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Academy Street, Chelmsford MA 01824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Toll House (a few steps from this marker); Revolutionary War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); District No. 1 School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chelmsford (about 600 feet away); Chelmsford’s “Minuteman Boulder” (about 600 feet away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chief of the Penacooks (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Chelmsford (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chelmsford.
Also see . . .
Billerica Public Library. This link tells how Harriet B. Rogers of North Billerica, MA, started her school in neighboring Chelmsford with financial assistance from Gardiner Greene Hubbard. Later, in turn, Hubbard founded the Clarke School for the Deaf with help from philanthropist John Clarke. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
2. Clarke Schools. Since 1867 the Clarke School (now the Clarke Schools for Hearing and Speech) has taught deaf children at its campus in Northampton, MA, about 70 miles west of Chelmsford.) (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.