Vandalia in Fayette County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First State Capitol
1820 - 1823
The first capitol building owned by the State was erected on this site. It was a thirty by forty feet two-story frame structure. The Second and Third Illinois General Assemblies met here, the House on the first floor and the Senate on the second. This building was destroyed by fire on December 9, 1823.
Erected by Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 57.587′ N, 89° 5.776′ W. Marker is in Vandalia, Illinois, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Johnson Street, on the right when traveling south on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 South 5th Street, Vandalia IL 62471, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Public Printer (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Charters Hotel (about 500 feet away); Flack's Hotel (about 500 feet away); Where Did Lincoln Stay? (about 600 feet away); Second State Capitol (about 600 feet away); Madonna of the Trail First Elective Office (about 600 feet away); Cumberland Road (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
Also see . . . History of Vandalia, Illinois. (Submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.