Waterford in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Waterford Mill
The surrounding Loudoun Valley produced the grain that was ground to flour for export to Baltimore and Washington and beyond. By the mid 1800s, access to these markets was greatly improved by the C&O Canal and the B&O Railroad, which passed along the Potomac River ten miles north of Waterford.
In the 1880s, miller J.F. Dodd put up a three-story frame and sheet-metal addition at the rear of the mill, doubling its size. He also modernized its machinery, introducing "roller" technology to supplement the old grindstones.
The mill operated well into the 20th century but could not survive the modern competition and the Great Depression. Milling finally ceased in 1939. The machinery and the rear addition were eventually sold for scrap.
The newly formed Waterford Foundation purchased the building in 1943 and has used it since to host the annual Waterford Homes Tour and Crafts Exhibit. In 1997, a set of roller-process machinery similar to that used during the mill's last 50 years of production was donated to the Waterford Foundation. It has been installed in the building as a static display.
Location. 39° 11.43′ N, 77° 36.853′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Wheatland Road (County Route 698) and Bond Street, on the right when traveling east on Old Wheatland Road. Touch for map. Located in the back of the Waterford Mill. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford VA 20197, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. How it Works (here, next to this marker); Waterford - An Old Mill Town (a few steps from this marker); Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tin Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waterford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fairfax Meeting of Friends (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
More about this marker. The marker displays two photographs:
Bates' Mill, 1905 This photograph, featured on a 1905 postcard, shows additions made to the rear of the mill in the 1880s, with the mill race and pond in the foreground.
The second photo shows "Teams of horses such as this brought flour produced at the mill to railway and canal
Also see . . .
1. Waterford Mill. The mill is a stop on a walking tour of Waterford. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Waterford's Mill Ledger. Portions of the 1849 mill ledger reveal interesting bits of information. Of note was the milling of both flour and plaster, what we might call lime today for conditioning soil. Also note the transport of the finished product to Point of Rocks, MD for shipment. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.