Near West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1840 - 1928
‘Southdown,’ as this property is called, was named for the Southdown sheep Gilbert Cope’s father brought from England.
Erected 1985 by Chester County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 57.615′ N, 75° 38.36′ W. Marker is near West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on West Strasburg Road (Pennsylvania Route 162) half a mile west of Highland Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stroud Preserve (approx. 0.7 miles away); Down by the Water’s Edge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of the Star Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jefferis Ford (approx. 1½ miles away); Columbus Penn Evans Horace Pippin (approx. 1.6 miles away); Isaac Dutton Barnard (approx. 1.6 miles away); Everhart Grove (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Chester.
Also see . . .
1. Chester County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 19, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Link to a photo taken by Gilbert Cope. ...The first mowing machine in Chester, PA [Chester County] (Submitted on October 18, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on December 13, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on May 17, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.