Wausau in Marathon County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Big Bull Falls
Big Bull Falls
now the City of Wausau
established the first
This tablet placed by
Daughters of the
Erected 1929 by the Wausau Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 44° 57.677′ N, 89° 38.026′ W. Marker is in Wausau, Wisconsin, in Marathon County. Marker can be reached from Scott Street (State Highway 52) near Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Big Bull Falls Historic Park. A small parking area inside the park can be reached from eastbound Washington Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 West Scott Street, Wausau WI 54403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Big Bull Falls • Birthplace of Wausau (here, next to this marker); Why is it called Big Bull Falls? (a few steps from this marker); Business Boomed at Big Bull Falls Wausau Water Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Federal Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Rehabilitation Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Third Marathon County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Workers' Compensation Law (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wausau.
More about this marker. Big Bull Falls was named because from down the river the falls sound like the lowing of a bull.
Source: Milwaukee Journal, Sept. 25, 1921
Also see . . .
1. History - The Wausau Story. City of Wausau. (Submitted on May 19, 2011.)
2. Wisconsin River Pinery. Wisconsin Historical Society. (Submitted on May 19, 2011.)
3. The Wisconsin Pinery. Portage County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 19, 2011.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 439 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.