Warrenton in Warren County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Daniel Boone, universal symbol of the American frontier, was 65 when he came to Upper Louisiana, now Missouri, 1799. His wife Rebecca was 60. The Spanish lieutenant governor granted Boone 845 acres nearby here on Femme Osage Creek.
Boone did not settle on this grant, instead he and his wife made their home with their children. Two of their sons, Daniel Morgan and Nathan, held land in the locality of the Femme Osage, near the present Matson and Defiance in St. Charles County. Their daughter and son-in-law, Jemima and Flanders Callaway, lived near the present Marthasville in Warren County.
Boone served as syndic or judge for the Femme Osage settlements, 1800-1804. Near the Nathan Boone House, still standing, five miles from Defiance, is site of "Judgement Elm" where Boone is said to have held court.
The trace to the saline in Howard County where Daniel Morgan and Nathan boiled salt about 1807 became the Boon's Lick Trail. In the War of 1812, Daniel Morgan was a captain and Nathan a major in the Missouri Rangers.
(See other side)
(Continued from other side)
Daniel Boone died at the home of his son Nathan, 1820, and was buried beside his wife, Rebecca Bryan Boone, overlooking Missouri River near Marthasville. In 1845, the bodies were removed to Frankfort,
Gottfried Duden (1785-1855), German scholar and humanitarian, came to Missouri, 1824, to investigate opportunities for German immigrants on the American frontier. Near the present Dutzow in Warren County is the site of his farm. Nathan Boone, his neighbor, spent some time with Duden showing him the countryside. In 1827 Duden returned to Germany. Here he published a "Report" which pictured Missouri an ideal spot and inspired a large German immigration to the State. Followers of Duden settled mainly in St. Charles and Warren counties. Many members of the Giessen (immigration) Society settled in Warren County, 1834.
Nearby Warrenton has been county seat of Warren Co., since 1835. Here was German Methodist Central Wesleyan College, chartered, 1864. Marthasville Seminary was chartered 1855, as German Evangelical Missouri College.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 38° 48.654′ N, 91° 8.937′ W. Marker is in Warrenton, Missouri, in Warren County. Marker is on Market Street near Main Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is on the east grounds of the Warren County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Warrenton MO 63383, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warren County All Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Sanders Tavern - 1826 (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10687 Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.1 miles away); The Daniel Boone Trail (approx. 13.6 miles away); Marthasville to Treloar (approx. 13.6 miles away); Lewis and Clark in Missouri (approx. 13.6 miles away); Marthasville to Dutzow (approx. 13.6 miles away); Katy Trail State Park 20th Anniversary (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warrenton.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Daniel Boone Home. (Submitted on May 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Traveling the Boone's Lick Trail. (Submitted on May 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Duden Recommends Immigrating to Missouri. (Submitted on May 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.