Blythewood in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
George P. Hoﬀman House
This house was built ca. 1855 for George P. Hoffman (1829-1902), a native of N.C. Hoffman ran a nearby sawmill and became the first postmaster of Doko (as Blythewood was first known) in 1856. This area was part of Fairfield County until 1913, when it was annexed into Richland County. Capt. John L. Kennedy owned the house during the Civil War; his widow Judith owned it afterwards.
This house was one of several ransacked by Gen. W.T. Sherman’s Federals as they advanced through this area in February 1865. Hoffman, a section master on the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad, owned the house again by 1875. It later housed an antique shop and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It became the Blythewood Town Hall in 2000.
Erected 2007 by Blythewood Middle School. (Marker Number 40-135.)
Location. 34° 12.899′ N, 80° 58.314′ W. Marker is in Blythewood, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Longford Road (State Highway 40-54), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Main Street (US 21) and State Road 40-54. Marker is in this post office area: Blythewood SC 29016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sandy Level Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Paul Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Skirmish at Killian's Mill (approx. 5.7 miles away); Killian Road Baptist Church Cemetery Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 5.7 miles away); Killian School (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blythewood.
Regarding George P. Hoffman House. The George P. Hoffman House, reputedly built ca. 1855, is the oldest building in the present-day town of Blythewood and is significant for its association with the early development of the community. The construction of the house preceded Blythewood. A settlement known as Doko developed in this area around a stop of the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad line, which was completed in 1852. In 1879, the village was incorporated as the Town of Blythewood and in 1918 Blythewood was included in a section of Fairfield County that was added to Richland County. The original owner, George P. Hoffman was a native of North Carolina. In 1860, Hoffman owned six slaves and was farming 34 acres. By 1870, he was operating a substantial sawmill that
National Register of Historic Places:
Hoffman, George P., House (added 1986 - - #86000586)
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Exploration/Settlement
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
♦ Current Function: Commerce/Trade
Also see . . . Richland County SC Historic Buildings and Sites. George P. Hoffman House Historic Topics: Architecture, Community Development, Doko, George Hoffman, Slavery, Black History (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 696 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.