Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Butler in Butler County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Butler County

 
 
Butler County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 22, 2011
1. Butler County Marker
Inscription. Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Named for General Richard Butler, Revolutionary officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony Society, 1804-1815.
 
Erected 1982 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 51.513′ N, 79° 53.731′ W. Marker is in Butler, Pennsylvania, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 8) and East Diamond Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Located at the Butler County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Butler PA 16001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Richard Butler (a few steps from this marker); Invention Of The Jeep (approx. 0.9 miles away); Reverend Richard C. Christy (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Roeblings (approx. 8.2 miles away); George Edward Waddell (approx. 8.3 miles away); William A. Smith (approx. 8.4 miles away); KDKA "Dog House" (approx. 8.6 miles away); Major George Washington (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Butler.
 
Also see . . .
Butler County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 22, 2011
2. Butler County Court House
 County of Butler, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on May 22, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement