Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
(St. Xavier College)
Bishop Edward Fenwick established a college
known as the Anthenaeum and placed it
under the patronage of St. Francis Xavier.
In 1840 his seccessor,
Bishop John Baptist Purcell,
gave the College to members of the
Society of Jesus who renamed it
St. Xavier College. This institution evolved
into today's Xavier University, which
moved to its Evanston-Avondale campus
in 1919, and into St. Xavier High School
that transferred to Finneytown in 1960.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
[To the greater glory of God]
Location. 39° 6.258′ N, 84° 30.531′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of E 7th Street (U.S. 22) and Sycamore Street, on the right on E 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Procter & Gamble (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cincinnati Riots of 1884 / Sheriff Morton Lytle Hawkins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Blackwell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy Speech (approx. ¼ mile away); Ohio Military Trails Military Roads (approx. ¼ mile away); Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (approx. ¼ mile away); Piatt Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Regarding The Athenaeum. Today, a parking lot with Saint Francis Xavier Church
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.