Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thomson in McDuffie County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

McDuffie County

 
 
McDuffie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
1. McDuffie County Marker
Inscription.
McDuffie County was created by Act of Oct. 18, 1870 from Columbia and Warren Counties. It was named for George McDuffie (1788-1851). Born in Columbia (now Warren County, Ga.), he became a political leader in S.C. He was a Maj. Gen. of Militia, Congressman, Governor and Senator. A political sponsor of Calhoun, he was a notable orator. First Officers of McDuffie County, commissioned Feb. 11, 1871, were: A.B. Thrasher, Ord.; J.T. Stovall, Sheriff; R.H. Pearce, Clk. Sup. Ct.; J.D. Montgomery, Tax Rec.; H.W. Young, Tax Col.; John R. Wilson, Sur.; B.E. Pearce, Treas.; R.T. Blanchard, Coroner.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 094-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.163′ N, 82° 30.274′ W. Marker is in Thomson, Georgia, in McDuffie County. Marker is on McDuffie Avenue 0.2 miles west of Main Street (U.S. 78), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker stands on the south lawn of the Historic McDuffie County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Thomson GA 30824, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodman of the World Supreme Sacrifice Monument
McDuffie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 19, 2015
2. McDuffie County Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); VFW Post 6672 KIA Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); VFW Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Edward Watson (within shouting distance of this marker); Rear Admiral Richard Ellington Hawes (within shouting distance of this marker); McDuffie and Columbia Counties Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Sen. Thomas E. Watson (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Thomas E. Watson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Usry House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blind Willie McTell (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomson.
 
Also see . . .
1. McDuffie County, Georgia. (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. George McDuffie. George McDuffie (August 10, 1790 – March 11, 1851) was the 55th Governor of South Carolina and a member of the United States Senate. (Submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
McDuffie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
3. McDuffie County Marker
Looking east on McDuffie Avenue toward Main Street (US Highway 78)
 
 
Additional comments.
1. Political Offices Held by George McDuffie
* United States Senator from South Carolina: December 23, 1842 – August 17, 1846
* 55th Governor of South Carolina: December 9, 1834 – December 10, 1836
* U.S. House of Representatives from South Carolina's 5th district: March 4, 1823 – 1834
* U.S. House of Representatives from South Carolina's 6th district: March 4, 1821 – March 3, 1823
* South Carolina House of Representatives from the Edgefield District: November 23, 1818 – November 27, 1820
    — Submitted August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
McDuffie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
4. McDuffie County Marker
Looking west on McDuffie Avenue
McDuffie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
5. McDuffie County Marker
The McDuffie County Courthouse is in the background.
George McDuffie<br>1790-1851 image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress, Thomas Brady Collection
6. George McDuffie
1790-1851
McDuffie County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 14, 2011
7. McDuffie County Courthouse
This is the first and only courthouse erected in McDuffie County. It was built in 1872 at a cost of $15,000. Wings were added in 1934, and substantial renovations made in 1970.
Historic McDuffie County Courthouse<br>East Facade image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 19, 2015
8. Historic McDuffie County Courthouse
East Facade
Historic McDuffie County Courthouse<br>South Facade image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 19, 2015
9. Historic McDuffie County Courthouse
South Facade
Historic McDuffie County Courthouse<br>South Facade image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, August 19, 2015
10. Historic McDuffie County Courthouse
South Facade
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   7. submitted on May 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   8, 9, 10. submitted on August 30, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement