Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
American Legion Home
Erected 1967 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 34-08.)
Location. 43° 0.572′ N, 88° 13.833′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Wisconsin Ave. when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 Wisconsin Ave., Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rotunda (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (about 600 feet away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (about 800 feet away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Les Paul (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cohn's Shoe Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
1. History of the building
This house was built in 1848 by Isaac Lain who hand-carved the fluted pillars across the front of the house. The house is the county's finest example of Greek Revival architecture and recognized by the Historical American Buildings Survey in the Library of Congress for its importance. Lain was an industrialist who started out in insurance and banking. He later became a director of the Waukesha County Manufacturing Co. which operated the largest woolen mill in Wisconsin.
In 1904 Mrs. Lain sold the home to Edward R. Estberg who would move back to Waukesha to work at the Waukesha National Bank. He also served as the mayor of Waukesha from 1914-1919. He was the son of Claes Estberg, founder of Estberg Jewelers in 1858.
After Mr. Estberg died, the home was bought by the American Legion Post 8 in 1944. This post was chartered in 1919 after World War I.
Today the building is occupied by Eric's Porter-Haus restaurant.
— Submitted May 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 674 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.