Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

From Federal City to State Capital

 
 
From Federal City to State Capital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, December 2007
1. From Federal City to State Capital Marker
Inscription. Following the Treaty of Paris in 1783, the newly independent United States were faced with establishing a national capital. Up to this point the Continental Congress had met in several places, most often in Philadelphia and New York City. Congress now solicited recommendations from each of the states as to the best location for its government to take up permanent residence. New Jersey offered to partially fund the construction of a capital city if it was located within its boundaries.

New Jersey residents lobbied for consideration of Lamberton in present day South Trenton as a candidate for seat of the national capital. This proposal received support from representatives of both the New England and Middle Atlantic States, since Trenton was well situated roughly mid-way along the nationís eastern seaboard. The Southern States, however, preferred somewhere further south, and an awkward compromise was eventually reached whereby Congress would meet alternately at Trenton and at Annapolis, Maryland.

Beginning in November of 1783 Congress met in Trenton at the French Arms Tavern, but by February of the following year the cityís hopes of becoming the nationís future capital were dashed by George Washingtonís support for a permanent location at a site on the Potomac. Despite several subsequent attempts at reviving Trentonís candidacy as the nationís capital, the matter was effectively settled in July of 1790 when, in exchange
The four subject markers under the 18th Century Arch image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
2. The four subject markers under the 18th Century Arch
for the federal governmentís assuming their debts, the Northern States agreed to vote for a site on the Potomac as the future seat of the United States government. As consolation Trenton in the same year took on the mantle of state capital.

In the fall of 1799, Trenton briefly housed the federal government when a yellow fever epidemic forced the removal of President Adams and his cabinet from their quarters in Philadelphia. Although this led in 1801 to yet another attempt by the New Jersey Legislature to have the nationís capital located on the banks of the Delaware, by this time the future site of Washington, D.C. was well established and Trentonís hopes of national grandeur were finally put to rest.

Links to learn more – New Jersey State House, Trenton; New Jersey State Archives, Trenton
 
Erected 2004 by New Jersey Department of Transportation.
 
Location. 40° 11.899′ N, 74° 45.505′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 29. Touch for map. This marker is part of South River Walk Park which is built over Route 29. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trentonís Early Houses of Worship (here, next to this marker); Slavery – An “Odious and Disgraceful” Practice
The French Arms Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Gary Nigh, November 2007
3. The French Arms Tavern
(here, next to this marker); The Battles of Trenton, Turning Point of the Revolution (here, next to this marker); 18th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); 17th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); 19th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); Who, What and Where were Sanhickans? (a few steps from this marker); Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
 
More about this marker. This is one of 4 subject markers under the 18th Century Arch.

The marker has a picture of, "The French Arms Tavern, formerly located at the southwest corner of South Warren and West State Street, where Congress met over the winter of 1784-1785 during Trenton's brief period as a leading candidate for the National Capital."
 
Categories. Politics
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement