Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Barkerville in Cariboo Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
 

Richfield Courthouse

 
 
Richfield Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2010
1. Richfield Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Built in 1882, this is British Columbia’s oldest surviving courthouse, replacing one which stood here from 1862-1882. By 1918, declining population in Richfield led to the building’s closure. Designated a Provincial historic object in 1945, it was restored by the Provincial Government in 1982. Reopened by Hon. A.J. Brummet Minister of Lands, Parks and Housing An3 Hon. Nathan T. Nemetz Chief Justice of British Columbia June 18, 1983
 
Erected 1983.
 
Location. 53° 3.164′ N, 121° 31.28′ W. Marker is near Barkerville, British Columbia, in Cariboo Regional District. Marker is on Barkerville Highway (Provincial Highway 26). Touch for map. Richfield Courthouse is about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Barkerville. Marker is in this post office area: Barkerville, British Columbia BC V0K, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chee Kung Tong Building (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Cornish Wheel & Pump (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Cariboo Gold Fields (approx. 1.9 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Richfield Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2010
2. Richfield Courthouse
Richfield Courthouse (secondary) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2010
3. Richfield Courthouse (secondary) Marker
Richfield During 1861 the bustling town of Richfield sprang up to serve hundreds who flocked to the new gold finds on Williams Creek. The seat of Government was established here and appropriate buildings constructed. The gravel in this part of the creek was shallow and many claims soon bottomed out, sending Richfield into decline. The Court House, which was built in 1882, is all that remains of the town. The Government Office was here until the turn of the 20th Century, when it was moved to Barkerville. The Court House was last ‘officially’ used in the 1920s. [Photograph from the Barkerville Archives]
Judge Matthew Baillie Begbie holds court. image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 20, 2010
4. Judge Matthew Baillie Begbie holds court.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement