Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Colored Baptist Church
In 1867 under the direction of the Rev. Jacob Fontaine, the First Baptist Church for Colored was formally organized with thirteen charter members. Early services for the new congregation were held in a blacksmith shop at the southwest corner of Tenth and Congress, and in the basement of the First Baptist Church. In 1869, during the administration of Mayor Leander Brown, the city of Austin deeded the church a tract of land at the corner of Ninth and Guadalupe for construction of the first sanctuary.
A significant force in the development of Austin's black community since the 1860s, the church has been led by many prominent Baptist preachers.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15362.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4805 Heflin Lane, Austin TX 78721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Colorado (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bethany Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Site of Pecan Springs School (approx. one mile away); Josiah Pugh Wilbarger (approx. 1.7 miles away); Maud Anna Berry Smith Fuller (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry G. Madison Cabin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Simpson United Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); University Interscholastic League (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.