Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ebenezer (Third) Baptist Church
The Rev. C. Ward organized this church in the home of Mrs. Elisa Hawkins in 1875 as the Third Baptist congregation in Austin. A small frame structure at Catalpa and Curve Streets was the place of worship for ten years. A brick sanctuary in Gothic style was completed in 1886, and the congregation then added “Ebenezer”, meaning “stone of help”, to its name. During the 1892-1927 pastorate of the Rev. L.L. Campbell, a stucco tabernacle was built (1915). Led by the Rev. J.C. Lott, 1928-1949, the members began plans for expansion. The present church was erected in 1950-1955, under the Rev. Robert L. Rowe, whose ministry extended from 1949 to 1968. The limestone and brick structure is of Gothic Revival design. One of the towers houses the bell from the first brick church.
This church is recognized for its missionary work, its choirs, and its active support of many local and national projects, including scholarships, programs for the elderly, United Negro College Funds, NAACP, and volunteer councils of the Texas State Hospitals.
Pastor Marvin C. Griffin, called in 1969, led his large congregation in a mortgage burning ceremony as Ebenezer celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1975.
Erected 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14787.)
Location. 30° 16.128′ N, 97° 43.848′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on East 10th Street east of San Marcos Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The church building is located at the intersection of East 10th and San Marcos Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1010 East 10th Street, Austin TX 78702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); French Embassy (approx. 0.2 miles away); French Legation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Samuel Huston College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stuart Female Seminary (approx. ¼ mile away); William Tom (approx. ¼ mile away); Winslow Turner (approx. ¼ mile away); George Weedon (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 641 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.