Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oil City in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charles Lockhart

(1818-1905)

 
 
Charles Lockhart Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 30, 2011
1. Charles Lockhart Marker
Inscription. The largest crude oil refiner in Pittsburgh in the 1860s. Lockhart, Frew and Company merged its seven refineries with Standard Oil in 1874. Lockhart served on the board, managing 80% of United States oil refining, transport, and marketing. One of the original firm's offices was here.
 
Erected 2007 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 26.06′ N, 79° 42.43′ W. Marker is in Oil City, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is on Center Street 0.1 miles east of Elm Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 Center Street, Oil City PA 16301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Cornplanter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Patrick C. Boyle (about 600 feet away); Cornplanter (about 600 feet away); Jacob J. Vandergrift (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Commemoration of the Gift (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Reid Gas Engine Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oil Well Supply Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Col. Francis "Gabby" Gabreski (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oil City.
 
Also see . . .
Charles Lockhart Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 30, 2011
2. Charles Lockhart Marker
 Charles Lockhart at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on February 20, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement