Kingston in Roane County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Former State Capital
The Second Capital of Tennessee
In 1806, the General Assembly of Tennessee passed a resolution that its next meeting be “at the town of Kingston near South-West Point.” On Monday, September 21, 1807, the General Assembly met at Kingston which thus became the second capital of Tennessee. The General Assembly adjourned on the same day to meet two days later at Knoxville.
John Sevier was Governor of Tennessee when Kingston was the capital
This historical marker was authorized by the Seventy-sixth General Assembly of Tennessee, 1949.
Gordon Browning, Governor
James H. Cummings, Secretary of State
Walter M. Haynes, Speaker of the Senate
McAllen Foutch, Speaker of the House
Location. 35° 52.326′ N, 84° 30.959′ W. Marker is in Kingston, Tennessee, in Roane County. Marker is at the intersection of North Kentucky Street (State Highway 58) and East Cumberland Street, on the left when traveling south on North Kentucky Street. Touch for map. Located near the front/west side of the old Roane County courthouse, now home of the County Archives. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston TN 37763, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Capitol for a Day (a few steps from this marker); Roane County War of 1812 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Poplar Creek Seminary (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Wheat Community (approx. 9.2 miles away); Oak Ridge (approx. 12.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Loudon Railroad Bridge (approx. 13.5 miles away); Sgt. Mitchell W. Stout (approx. 13.5 miles away); Loudon County Courthouse (approx. 13.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.