Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Anderson High School; Kealing Jr. High School
Robertson Hill School, the first high school for blacks in Austin, opened on the corner of Eleventh and San Marcos Streets in 1884. In 1907 the school moved to the corner of Olive and Curve Streets and was renamed E.H. Anderson High School.
In 1913 the school was moved to 1607 Pennsylvania Avenue. It was renamed in honor of former principal L.C. Anderson in 1938. In 1953 the school relocated to 900 Thompson Street. Anderson High School opened in its fifth location, 8403 Mesa, in 1973.
Kealing Junior High School was opened in 1930 on this site. Named for educator Hightower Theodore Kealing (1859-1918), it was the first junior high school for blacks in the city, and had an initial enrollment of 337. When enrollment increased, the school expanded into the former Anderson High School in 1954. The two buildings, known as East Kealing and West Kealing, were joined in 1962. The school was closed in 1971 due to court-ordered desegregation.
The original Kealing Junior High School building was razed in 1983, and the old Anderson High School on this site burned in 1984. A new Kealing Junior High was built and opened in 1986.
Erected 1986 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14678.)
Location. 30° 16.279′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1607 Pennsylvania Ave, Austin TX 78702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James L. Farmer, Jr. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Simpson United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Southgate-Lewis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Desegregation of Texas High Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington Carver Branch Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Wesley United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); King-Tears Mortuary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?